When you walk through the stores right now there are Easter candies everywhere! It’s insane. It’s so tempting and that’s not good for someone who’s trying to eat healthier and live a more active life. I confess that I fell prey to the candies. Mini Eggs do me in every time. After the second or third time I’d indulged in them I realized that it wasn’t what I wanted to do for my body. It doesn’t benefit me or help me accomplish my goals.
As I finished those Mini Eggs I realized I needed to cut sugar out of my diet for a while. I had been sliding into Nutella on toast for breakfast everyday. Sneaking in Mini Eggs and thinking up new cookie recipes added to the madness. The sugar had to go. I turned to my trusty Eat Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno. I love her recipes and the idea that healthy food can fuel a great life. The first morning of my recommitment to Eating Clean I made “Loaded Oats”. It’s a delicious protein packed breakfast that will keep you full until lunch. It pleases everyone and can be changed or modified to anyone’s taste. I hope you enjoy!
Loaded Oats by Tosca Reno
- 2 C Old fashioned oats
- 4 tbsp Almond Butter
- 2 C Skim Milk
- 2 C water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 4 tbsp coarsely ground flax seeds.
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Combine the milk and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- As the mixture is heating up add the almond butter and stir well.
- Once the mixture is boiling add the cinnamon, protein powder and oats. Mix well.
- Reduce heat and cook until the mixture is thick and creamy. This will take approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Separate mixture into 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle each bowl with flax seeds and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- You can substitute any kind of milk in this recipe. I’ve made it with soy and it’s delicious. I’m sure other milks would go nicely with this as well.
- You can also substitute other kinds of nut butters in this recipe. I love natural peanut butter in this. Very delicious!
- The type of protein powder you choose will affect the flavor. I’ve made it with vanilla, chocolate and unflavored. Each was tasty but it does impact the taste so choose something you love. In this batch I used Vanilla Chai by Vega and it was amazing! They don’t pay me to say that, I just happen to love their product! Due to the plant ingredients in it did tint the oatmeal green (which is why the picture is in black and white!).
- If you combine your protein flavors with your nut butters your breakfast can be quite an adventure. Chocolate protein combined with peanut butter is a delicious indulgence on a day when you need something sweet. Unflavored protein will really allow the nut butter to sing. Play around with the combinations and you’ll be sure to find something you love.
- If you’re looking for an easy, no nonsense cookbook that has healthy, delicious food you should pick up a copy of The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. It’s got delicious recipes and has unique, interesting ways of incorporating healthy foods into your Family’s meals. And no she doesn’t pay me to say that either.
A Journey through Lent: Day 6